The Fellowship Mission and Values
The Postdoctoral Fellowship at Aegis Institute, Inc. is dedicated to providing the highest levels of clinical training for fellows by experienced psychologists, physicians, mental health professionals and seasoned program directors all of whom possess extensive experience within the field of addiction medicine.
Graduates of the program will possess the clinical knowledge necessary to assess and treat all stages of addiction towards a successful end. Additionally, graduates will have accumulated the added benefit of working closely with an interdisciplinary treatment team who offer much needed training to the postdoctoral fellow in the areas of medical interventions, micro and macro social work, the unique dietary needs of those with addiction as well as practical hands-on leadership and managerial development necessary to administrate a licensed chemical dependency treatment facility.
Aegis’ advanced clinical track emphasizes the following core competencies:
- The clinical distinction between treatment within a medical model of care as opposed to a social recovery model
- The ethical and legal implications of treating patients with opiate replacement medications
- Current trends and research within the field of addiction medicine
- Assessment, case conceptualization and treatment utilizing evidence-based curricula and interventions
- Working within an interdisciplinary treatment team comprised of clinical and medical professionals
- Case law undergirding opiate treatment and current legal challenges
The fellowship program requires that all supervisors and trainees maintain a commitment to the ethical and legal standards as outlined by the California Psychology Internship Council, the American Psychological Association (APA) and those as outlined through the relevant professional associations. Fellows and supervisors also commit to firmly uphold the Aegis Code of Conduct as well as all applicable legal, regulatory and accreditation standards of the industry.